Filestreamer and Netbackup?

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
vikram

Post by vikram »

Hi,
I wanted to try Filestreamer with Netbackup - wondering if anyone has had any experience on how Filesteramer mixes with Netbackup.

look forward to comments, feedback.

Thanks,

Vikram
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

We haven't tested Firestreamer with NetBackup. In case if NetBackup doesn't recognize Firestreamer VTL, you need to contact Symantec Support to get updated "Device Mapping Package".
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
shaadvi

Post by shaadvi »

I have tested Filstreamer with netbackup 6.x and Robot / Drives & Tapes successfully detected and library is successfully functioning all the way.

But when I performs test backup which failing with 96 error even newly created tapes were available. Any idea does defualt value of media size is 0bytes ?

Do I need to allowcate any space limitation for file media ? Can any one help here.....
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

I am sorry to say that we are unable to help you. Symantec was uncooperative when we approached them in order to make Firestreamer compatible with their backup products.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
shaadvi

Post by shaadvi »

Thanks...

I understood but still do you have any exp... what could be the reason ( Any hint / guess ) since why am asking is.........

I am able to load / unload the tapes into drives using Netbackup robtest utl.. and inventory is updating Netbackup volume db without any issues.... Some what I am feeling I am very near to make this success but might I am missing some thing....Any thouths.
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

It's impossible to tell from our end what NetBackup doesn't like, otherwise, we'd have made Firestreamer compatible already. You need to check NetBackup log files. If the logs don't contain enough info, then only Symantec knows.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support